Fort Lauderdale Beach Hospital
125 North Birch Road — From mid-century medical facility to coastal residential life.
Mid-Century Specialty Hospital
▲ Fig 1. Original 1957 promotional postcard view.
Organized in 1956 and converted in 1957, the hospital was marketed as a modern, 100-bed private general medical facility under the guidance of Dr. Louis Amato. Built as a supplement rather than a replacement for local tourism hotels, vintage postcards boasted that the structure was completely soundproof, fully air-conditioned, and featured a spectacular rooftop sun deck.
Core Medical Focus
- ✔ Geriatrics: Heavy emphasis on the care of the aging.
- ✔ Rehabilitation: Dedicated short and long-term physical care.
- ✔ Specialties: Internal medicine, radiology, dentistry, and physiotherapy.
Expansion & The "Annex"
In 1964, the Katie Lambert Foundation purchased the hospital and it was operated as a nonprofit by the Beach Hospital Auxiliary. Expansion at the time increased capacity by 20 beds, added radiology and lab capacity, as well as a new emergency room and entrance. During its operational peak in the 1970s, the hospital expanded across, absorbing the historic home at 209 Birch Road to act as the official Annex—a landmark space that later became home to the famed five-star Italian restaurant Casa Vecchia.
1964
Katie Lambert Foundation acquisition phase.
End of an Era
1969 – 1973
Relocation plans emerge; the hospital permanently shutters clinical services in December 1973. Read more.
1974 – 1975
The Broward Commission considers an alcohol treatment center, but skips the property due to premium costs. Read more.
1977-1978
A Canadian investor purchases the building structure, carefully converting the old hospital units into modern residential condominiums. Read more.
