Walter E. Pauley (1909–1964) was a mid-century architect active in Fort Lauderdale during the mid-20th century. Historical architectural records and USModernist professional rosters trace his presence in the local design community back to at least the early 1960s. He was not just a local Florida architect; he was a highly notable architectural figure best known for being the early career design partner of legendary modern designer Charles Eames. Records from American Institute of Architects (AIA) indicated hat he spent the majority of his career in St. Louis, Missouri, before relocating to Fort Lauderdale for his final years. A 1948 newspaper article indicates he was the permitted architect for the Blue Water Hotel.
Profile Overview
- Active Era: Late 1950s through the 1960s.
- Registered Practice Location: Architectural registries from 1961 and 1963 list his office address at 600 Lido Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Professional Affiliations: He was an active regional member of the Florida Association of Architects (FAA), specifically tied to the Broward County Chapter during Fort Lauderdale's mid-century expansion.
Contextual Significance
Pauley operated during a transformative postwar era when Fort Lauderdale heavily embraced regional Mid-century Modern design themes. Architects of his generation frequently customized structures to withstand South Florida's coastal climate, introducing deep roof overhangs, prominent jalousie windows, open-breezeway floor plans, and integration with the city's expanding canal systems.
The Eames Connection (1932–1933)
Before Charles Eames achieved international fame for his iconic modern furniture and West Coast architecture, he operated an active firm in Missouri.
- The Partnership: In 1932, Walter E. Pauley joined Charles Eames and Charles M. Gray to form the firm Gray, Eames & Pauley, Architects
- The Studio: Their office sat on the second floor of the historic Woermann Construction Company building at 3800 West Pine Boulevard in St. Louis.
- Notable Designs: Together, they drafted high-profile residential structures. This included the Skelly House in 1932 (located at 7470 Kingsbury Boulevard in University City), which featured a distinct brick, timber, and gabled-roof design.
Firm Evolution: Gray & Pauley (1933–1940s)
In the summer of 1933, Charles Eames abruptly left the partnership to travel through Mexico. Following his departure, Pauley and Gray reformed the practice as Gray & Pauley Architects. This firm remained highly active throughout the 1930s and 1940s, constructing several major St. Louis landmarks, including:
- The Sanford Residence: A custom residence at 12 Fordyce Lane built for Dr. J. Hoy Sanford (1934).
- Deaconess Hospital Nurses' Home: A massive institutional housing complex located at 6150 Oakland Avenue (1941–1942).
Relocation to Fort Lauderdale
Following decades of commercial success in the Midwest, Pauley moved to Florida, registering with the Broward County Chapter of the AIA. He established his solo practice out of 600 Lido Drive in Fort Lauderdale. The AIA Historical Directory was formally notified of his passing in July 1964, marking the end of a career that directly bridged traditional Midwestern masterworks with early mid-century modernism.